Wednesday 9 May 2012


Following on from my two initial visits to the school, I have continued to visit Lucy's, Nicky's and Sarah's groups to introduce workshop exercises and/or lend support to writing and story making on an individual basis with the pupils.

On 31st April I delivered a free-writing exercise to Sarah's and Nicky's groups and talked of Ginny Greenteeth, suggesting ways in which such legends might be updated and given a different spin. I did likewise with Lucy's class, this time using Greek mythology as examples.

On 1st May I introduced the children in Sarah's group to the story of the Goblin Builders and, following my suggestions, they began work on alternative versions of this legend. I went on to visit both Nicky's and Lucy's groups to work 1-1 with the pupils, either on the work that they had underway or in helping those who were finding it difficult to make a start.

My final visit on 8th May was spent on further 1-1 work in Sarah's and (very briefly) Nicky's classes. This was possibly the most fruitful day, helping the struggling pupils kick-start their writing and others to develop their work, resulting in some wonderfully inventive, entertaining (and occasionally funny) stories and poems.

John Lindley

No comments:

Post a Comment